7.24.2008

I've been trying...

....to blog. Really. Our internet and cable has been out since Monday! Can you believe we've gone three whole days without a tv or internet?!? It can be done, folks, it can be done. Comcast came out this afternoon to save the day though. Poor Steph hasn't been able to do her assignments for her online class! And Anna and I have just been deprived of our browsing of the information superhighway during the evenings.

Anyways, I digress. Last weekend I met my brother, a couple cousins and their wives up in Ely for a little weekend camping trip. It was so much fun! I really like to camp. Not set up the tent or any of that stuff.....but I like to camp. Oh, and only if there's showers! So basically I like the bonding part of it. And the bonfires. And s'mores.



The first night we were there the resort ran out of firewood. So every once in awhile, as we were sitting around our dying fire, Derek would disappear and come back with a bunch of sticks and branches from dead trees in the woods. Well, one time he came back with practically a tree. It was hilarious to see! So Darby and Jerem got out the saw and started hacking away. And we were set for the rest of the night!



On Saturday, Jill had arranged for us to tour the Soudan Mine, which is known as the "Cadillac of mines" and was about a half hour away. It was the one of the coolest things I've done! We got to ride down about 2300 feet underground in an old elevator shaft that the miners used back in the day and then ride a little rail car (which is what they used to use to send the iron out of the mines) a mile and a half into the mine and then take a little tour and a history lesson of the mine! If you ever get the chance, I highly recommend it!







The guys thought it was especially cool that they were selling Pasties outside the mine. Pasties are an "Iron Range" classic that's basically a pot pie when you're anywhere else! But for $4 - who could resist?



Thanks, Jill, for planning such a fun excursion and a great weekend!!

2 comments:

Lindsey,Alyssa and Carly said...

I've been waiting for your pics.. fun to look at! I sure love staying in touch with everyone this way. Jared was down in this mine one summer while staying at SBL. Looked like a fun wkend!

Michelle said...

Looks like fun! The blue hats ya'll had to wear just tops it all off:)